How Long is the drive from Pokhara to Jomsom?

How many hours does it take to drive from Pokhara to Jomsom?​

Can I drive my own jeep there or will the local transport people create problems?
If I need to halt somewhere for the night, is Beni better or Tatopani?
What are the hotels in Tatopani like?

Namaste,
Santosh ji. If you are experience rider, you can go ahead with motorbike. We have suggestions for your question; hope this will be helpful to you.

From Pokhara to Jomsom, it would be very difficult to reach within one day. We recommend you to start your ride from Pokhara, between 7-8 am and stop in Beni for lunch break; it will take around 4-5 Hours. From Beni, road is bit off-road up to Kalopani, it will take you around 5-6 Hours. You can stay in Kalopani.

And start early morning ride from Kalopani to Jomsom, which will take you around 5-6 Hours. From Jomsom to kagbeni (around 10-11Km) and kagbeni to Mukinath is around 11KM which is black topped and stay in Muktinath.

On another day, you can travel to Tatopani from Muktinath. We recommend you to stay in Tatopani and take a dip in Natural hot spring, with lots of good hotel and lodge available.

If you still have question feel free to write us at citymotorbike.com@gmail.com or you can follow our itinerary for Jomsom Muktinath trip with Motorbike.
Itinerary is here >

Good luck for your trip,
Sujan,
City Motorbike,
Thamel, Kathmandu, Nepal
1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sujan

Can I drive my own jeep there or will the local transport people create problems?
Few years ago, I visited Muktinath. Here's my experience in brief. Hope it would help you.

I took a micro bus from Kalanki for Pokhara it took about Approx 6 hours then i took a taxi to go to beni(actually the bus was already pack) it took about Approx. 5 Hours.

Then, from beni to tato pani i caught another local bus it was a trip of around 3 Hours to reach there. From tatopani you can catch a local bus to ghasa but jeep is also available as a extra option. The road is about around 2 hours long.

From ghasa you must take a local bus or jeep if you are thinking to reach jomsom on your own vehicle then you must leave your vehicle on ghasa unless you are having your own bike. Even the reserve vehicle are not allowed to move forward from there. It will take around 4 hours to reach the destination.

If you want to have a detailed info, you can read a blog that Yentra had published.
Please click on the link > http://www.yentra.com/resources/kathmandu-jomsom-muktinath-personal-travel-blog.1/

Hope this information may help you. Good luck for your trip.

Bus & Jeep Services are available from Pokhara via Beni, Then Beni to Ghasa, via Tatopani, to Jomsom. It will take rougly 12 to15 hours.

Tatopani is much better to spend the night since you can enjoy the hot springs near the Kali Gandaki river. The accommodation is Tatopani is pretty good (for a trekking destination), but of course not to be compared with the variety of choice and standard as in Pokhara.

Yes you can drive your own jeep or you can take a local bus up to Jomsom.
But I prefer to ride a motorbike up the rugged rocky trail to Jomsom. More than 70% of the road is rocky off road. Riding a motorbike is the best option to reach Jomsom.

Recently, I along with my other friends went for a motorcycle tour up to Jomsom. We were six person in 3 bikes. It took us 2 days to reach up to Jomsom as the road was rocky and we have to be careful while riding.

Since we ride from Kathmandu, our first stop for the night was at Tatopani. There are few hotels, but I urge you to book the hotel first before reaching there, as there will be more tourists in the pick season and there will be less chance of getting hotels. As we were tired from whole day riding our bike, we decided to take a dip in the nature hot water spring at Tatopani, which helped us to relax.

Next morning, we took an early ride to reach Jomsom. It took us about 6-7 hours to reach Jomsom from Tatopani.
The view was awesome throughout our ride. I bet you will not get a chance to see these view while taking the jeep.

So, I recommend you all to take a bike up to the Jomsom for thrilling experience.

Few years ago i was on a 5 days tour to Muktinath. I didn’t know much about this trip on bus or any other 4 wheeler.
i went there on bike. it took 2 days up to Jomsom from ktm. and 2 days down to Ktm. We spend 1 more days to visit Pokhara.

At 1st day we reached to Beni and stayed their at night. 2nd day we stayed at Jomsom. 3rd day morning at Muktinath and back to Ghasa at night. On 4th day,we were back to Pokhara at around 4 pm.

We visited Pokhara at morning with in 6 hours and back to Ktm.

krmaharjan

Administrator
Staff member

Hello,
Four Wheel Drive is ideal from Pokhara to Jomsom.
Expect the trip to be adventurous which takes around 6-7 hours maximum.
The stunning paths of the area traverse narrow highways and rough terrains. The dusty roads and distinctive desert-like scenery of the Mustang region are additional draws of this trip.

If you like dipping in a hot spring pool, Tatopani is better.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Hello,
Four Wheel Drive is ideal from Pokhara to Jomsom.
Expect the trip to be adventurous which takes around 6-7 hours maximum.
The stunning paths of the area traverse narrow highways and rough terrains. The dusty roads and distinctive desert-like scenery of the Mustang region are additional draws of this trip.

If you like dipping in a hot spring pool, Tatopani is better.

Enjoy.
Now a days road has improved well and 2 hours quicker than few years back.

Hi, i return back from the Muktinath trip last month on a zeep. It took us 6 hours to reach jomsom
Lower Mustang is indeed a breathtaking destination, and I suggest to stay in Tatopani instead of Beni. Tatopani offers a unique experience with its natural hot springs, making it an excellent choice for accommodation. And in beni i didn't find any decent accommodations for stay.

By staying in Tatopani, not only can you enjoy the mesmerizing beauty of the region, but you also have the opportunity to unwind and relax in the soothing hot springs. The natural hot springs in Tatopani are known for their therapeutic properties and are perfect for rejuvenating your mind and body after a long day of exploring the stunning landscapes of Lower Mustang.

So, if you're planning a trip to Lower Mustang, taking the recommendation to stay in Tatopani and indulging in a dip in the natural hot springs is a fantastic idea. It promises an unforgettable experience that combines the natural wonders of the region with the therapeutic benefits of the hot springs. Enjoy your stay and make the most of your time in this incredible part of Nepal!